Updated June 4, 2020
Rutgers Gardens will be open beginning June 4, with COVID-19 rules and restrictions in effect to follow federal, state, and university guidelines.
Please note the following important precautions and policies that must be observed at Rutgers Gardens:
- The Gardens are open on Saturday–Thursday. CLOSED FRIDAYS.
- New hours of operation for the Gardens April–October, 8:00am–7:00pm. November–March, 8:00am-5:00pm.
- Cook’s Market, our farm market, is open on Fridays 11:00am–3:00pm, with additional public health rules. (No access to other parts of the gardens.)
- Parking will be limited, to restrict number of visitors. If there is no parking available, please return later.
- Park only in available spaces in paved areas—absolutely no parking on the grass.
- Please wear a face covering* during your visit and practice social distancing of 6 feet between people.
- No picnics, large groups, or events allowed.
- Benches, gazebos, and pavilions are not available for use at this time.
- Please respect the plants, gardens, forests, and wildlife. NO plant material or wildlife of ANY kind may be removed from the premises.
- Bring your trash home with you.
- Pets must be on leash at all times.
- Photography sessions by permit only (with restrictions).
- Ceremonies by permit only (with restrictions).
- All other rules and policies remain in effect.
*Wearing a face covering outdoors is strongly encouraged, but not required, if you can maintain a distance of 6 feet from other people. If you can’t, such as on narrow trails in Helyar Woods, we strongly recommend that you wear a face covering to protect yourself and those around you. Our guidelines follow those of Rutgers University, the NJ governor, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rutgers Gardens and Helyar Woods are part of Rutgers University properties. All of our policies are for the safety of staff and visitors, to preserve the grounds for all to enjoy, and in the interest of upholding the policies of Rutgers University. Visitors are expected to follow all rules and regulations. Parking in unauthorized areas, removing plants or wildlife from the gardens, destructive or lewd behavior, use of prohibited substances, and other inappropriate conduct can result in police intervention and fines. Please do your part to help us remain open and keep Rutgers Gardens a beautiful, safe, and pleasant place for everyone to enjoy.
Please continue to monitor our website and social media (@RutgersGardens) for any other changes. Contact staff by email at email@example.com or by phone during business hours at 732-932-8451.
Faculty Director, Rutgers Gardens