By Reserved Tickets Only: May 1-2, 6-9, and 13-16
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rutgers Gardens is unable to hold its traditional Spring Flower Fair during Mother’s Day weekend. Instead, we will have an in-person plant sale over multiple weeks in May starting May 1, with timed (and FREE) tickets. Please review our Safety Plan (PDF) for details.
How the Plant Sale Works
- Reserve a free ticket (limited number) for a shopping time slot during the plant sale event.
- Plan to do your shopping in no more than 1 hour.
- Come to the Gardens during your time slot, and park at the Holly House. (If you need accessible parking, contact Rutgers Gardens by email at email@example.com.)
- Make sure to follow all COVID-19 rules for your visit.
- Visit the outdoor plant sale area and our greenhouses.
- Pick out the plants you want to buy (bring a small cart/wagon if desired).
- You may put all of your plants in the holding area until you are ready to pay.
- Pay for your plants.
- Bring your plants to your vehicle. (Note: Gardens staff will not be able to help load your car.) Customers with large orders will be able to bring their cars to the plant sale area for easier pick-up.
- Leave with a bounty of gorgeous vegetables, herbs, annuals, and perennials for your garden and home.
Plants for Sale
Plants are grown by Rutgers Gardens or from garden nurseries. Our sale will include:
- Perennials (including Native and Woody Plants)
Note: There will be no preordering of plants this year. All sales are on first-come, first-served basis. We do not guarantee the availability of all plants.
The first weekend (May 1-2) will be primarily for Vegetables, Herbs, and Annuals. Our full selection of Perennials will not be available until May 6 due to shipment timing from our suppliers. Keep this in mind when you reserve your ticket.
- Price List (PDF)
- Plant lists
Reserve your own free ticket for selected time and day. Entries are timed, no other access to the Gardens is included in the plant sale ticket. The Gardens will be closed to visitors during the plant sale days. Only ticketed people may enter at their ticketed times. Walking around in the Gardens before or after your shopping is not permitted.
UPDATE: All 700 tickets are currently reserved and no more tickets will be issued. The interest for the plant sale has been enormous and we apologize that we cannot accommodate all interested due to COVID-19 restrictions and staff shortages. You can check the ticketing website to see if any cancellations have occurred. If you want to buy plants and didn’t get a ticket, please come to the Cook’s Market on Fridays after May 16 where we will sell various plants that didn’t get sold during the sale.
- Ticket is for 1 vehicle, with max 2 customers (no children, please).
- Reserve only one ticket. (If you reserve more than one ticket, later reservations will be removed to ensure access for as many people as possible. After your first visit you can reserve a ticket for a second visit if tickets are available.)
- Current Garden Members will be given early access to reserve tickets.
- A ticket is for a timed entry to Rutgers Gardens Plant sale. You can cancel or rebook your time on the ticketing website.
- Select “Ticket Spring Plant Sale 2021” under either “Book Tickets” or “Tickets and Classes”
- On the calendar that shows up, first select an available date, then a time slot that suits you. There are 10 customers per time slot. Book only ONE ticket.
- Enter your full name, phone number, and e-mail address (mandatory, for COVID tracing and ticket tracking). You have to agree to the cancellation policy and the safety plan.
- Review your reservation and if correct, click on ‘Book my tickets and classes’. You can select to get a reminder e-mail by checking a box on this page.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Included in this e-mail are links if you need to cancel or rebook your ticket.
- A booking reminder will be e-mailed to you 1 day before your appointment.
Directions and Maps
The sale will be at Rutgers Gardens, GPS address is:
130 Log Cabin Road
New Brunswick NJ 08901-8525
We will accept cash, checks, and credit cards.
- 10% off all sales of plants and swag during the sale.
- Early access to ticket booking system.
- Special vouchers for certain membership levels (such members will be contacted directly).
- Membership benefits are only available if you have an active membership at the time of the sale. Please renew or become a new member as soon as possible if you want to take advantage of these benefits. Processing time depends on payment (up to 2 weeks), for fastest membership processing pay by credit card online
COVID-19 and Safety Rules
Rutgers University has approved this plant sale based on our COVID Safety Plan (PDF). Please review the plan; all customers, staff, and volunteers are expected to follow this plan. The main rules are:
- Wear a face covering at all times.
- Maintain 6 feet social distancing.
- Sanitize your hands frequently (hand sanitizing stations provided)
- Stay home and do not come to the Gardens if you are feeling ill, including if you have any of the following symptoms (you can reserve a new ticket):
- Cough (new onset or worsening)
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Fever or chills
- Stay home if you have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Follow all instructions on signs (one-way trails, maximum number of people in greenhouses, etc.)
- Plan to do your shopping in no more than 1 hour.