General Guidelines for Photography
Everyone is welcome to take photographs of the picturesque landscapes and wildlife at Rutgers Gardens. In fact, we encourage visitors to take casual photographs for their own personal use. However, if you are coming to take posed photographs (wedding, engagement, prom, graduation, pregnancy photos, etc.), whether amateur or professional, a photo permit is required.
A photo permit is $125 for 1.5 hours, which will accommodate groups of a maximum size of 25 people. Permits are non-refundable and must be scheduled in advance. Parties using the grounds without a permit will be charged $150, payable immediately by cash or credit card. Permit fees help support the planting, upkeep, and maintenance of the grounds, to keep Rutgers Gardens looking beautiful for all visitors to use and enjoy. Due to our popularity, we suggest that you reserve your time well in advance.
We are unfortunately unable to grant photo permits for groups of more than 25 people at one time. Due to excessive wear to the grounds, restricted parking, and staffing limitations, it is impossible for us to appropriately accommodate larger groups. If you have any questions, please contact our office for further clarification.
Photo permits are non-refundable, but may be rescheduled due to inclement weather. You must call before your scheduled time if you would like to reschedule.
Drones are not permitted in the Gardens without prior approval. For information, please contact us.
Videos filmed at Rutgers Gardens—including filming for electronic media, videos, motion pictures, documentaries, television shows or commercials—must adhere to Rutgers University policies. For restrictions, fees, how to request permission, and other information about filming, visit the Rutgers Filming and Photography on Campus page.
Conduct and Permit Details
- You must have a copy of your permit with you. Gardens employees will check that you are registered.
- Although the Gardens staggers photo permit times, you may not be the only party on the grounds taking photos during the permit period.
- A permit is only good for the times noted, and photos will not be permitted outside of the scheduled time.
- Parties may be dropped off near the Donald B. Lacey Display Garden, but limousines and all other vehicles must park in the Holly House parking lot. All vehicles including limousines and buses are prohibited from parking along roadway.
- No vehicles may be parked on any lawn areas.
- The log cabin and pavilion are only available for photographs to those who are renting the facility.
- Walking through garden beds, standing in plantings, and climbing trees, etc. are prohibited.
- Alcohol is prohibited in Rutgers Gardens.
- Photo permits are non-refundable, but may be rescheduled due to inclement weather. You must call prior to your scheduled time if you would like to reschedule.
For more information, please provide the details of your anticipated event and submit the inquiry form below.