Is your child interested in exploring our natural world, its flora and fauna and growing food? If so, let them join us this summer at our week long day camp! This fun outdoor program offers children a wide variety of activities that take advantage of the expertise and the many facilities throughout Rutgers Gardens, including vegetable and flower gardens, a bamboo grove, streams and ponds, hiking trails and rolling lawns.
- Explorations through designed gardens and natural habitats
- Vegetable garden harvesting and food preparations
- Topics on plant diversity, animal habitats and environmental awareness
- Hands-on activities to allow learning by observation
- Guest speakers
- Fun projects, games and activities to further explore topics and enjoy being out-of-doors!
Ages: Children ages 9 -13
2020 Camp Dates: August 3 – 7
Camp hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Additional Information: Camp Information Sheet (PDF)
- Rutgers Gardens camp staff has a strong background in the natural sciences and gardening, and they enjoy sharing this knowledge with children in a fun, yet disciplined manner.
- The staff is also trained in First aid, CPR and various aspects of childcare and development in case any problems should arise.
Cost Per Child
Option A: Early Bird Payment – must be received by May 31, 2020
- Rutgers Gardens Members: $300
- Non-Gardens Members: $325
Option B: Payment made after May 31, 2020
- Rutgers Gardens Members: $325
- Non-Gardens Members: $350
Visit our membership page for information about becoming a member.
How to Register
- Fill out the online registration form.
- Make your payment on our secure payment site or print out the payment form and follow the directions.
- Download the Camp Health Information and Photo Release Form, fill it out and mail to our office at 112 Ryders Lane, New Brunswick, NJ 08891 (attention Camp Manager).
Please note, registration will not be complete until all 3 steps are complete.
You may cancel your child’s camp registration up to two weeks before the first day of that camp. We are not able to give refunds for cancellations with less than two weeks’ notice. A $25 administrative handling fee per child per camp will be assessed for all cancellations. To cancel, please call 732-932-8451. If your child is unable to attend camp due to medical reasons, you may receive a refund (minus a $25 handling fee) at any time prior to the start of camp by providing a doctor’s note. Camps cancelled by the Gardens because of low enrollment or Gardens closure will be automatically fully refunded. The Gardens reserves the right to cancel a camp due to low enrollment.
- All camp activities take place at the Rutgers Gardens located at 140 Log Cabin Road, East Brunswick, NJ 08901. We may be reached during the day through the Gardens Office at 732-932-8451.
- The Gardens consist of 180 acres of planned gardens and natural landscapes including vegetable and flower gardens, a bamboo forest, streams and ponds, hiking trails, and sweeping lawns.
- Our camp day will begin and end at the historic Log Cabin. The Log Cabin area will be our base camp for all programs, activities, meals and snacks.
Food and Drink
- All campers should bring a lunch, marked with their name. Lunches will be refrigerated.
- A light snack will be provided each afternoon. Campers can bring their own snack if they prefer.
- Drinking water will be provided throughout the day. Campers will be encouraged to take water with them when we walk through the Gardens.
- Campers should bring a reusable water bottle.
- Most of our camp activities will take place outdoors. Campers should come appropriately dressed for outdoor activity. Closed-toed shoes are required. A change of clothes can be brought for emergencies.
- Cell phones and personal electronics will not be allowed to be used during camp activities. The Rutgers Gardens will not be responsible for personal property.
- Any personal property brought to camp should be labeled with the camper’s name.
- Campers will be given a string bag to use at camp.
Camp Drop Off and Pick Up
- All campers should be brought directly to the Log Cabin where the camp staff will greet and sign them in. Parking is available at the cabin. Please be mindful of other children while driving in this area.
- Every person picking up must be listed on the authorization list on the registration form to sign out their child/children when they are picking up. Please be sure our office has the completed form filled out prior to camp. If you need to make any changes please contact the Gardens Office at 732-932-8451.
- Rutgers Garden’s camp staff is trained in First Aid and CPR and will administer first aid for minor injuries.
- Parents/Guardians will be notified by Gardens staff of injuries that require extensive first aid or additional observation by a physician.
- At no time will a registered nurse be on duty during the camp.
- Rutgers Gardens’ staff does not administer any form of medication.
- In the case of a medical emergency, 911 and the Rutgers Police will be called. You will be contacted immediately.
For questions about our Summer Exploration Camp, please contact email@example.com.