Bring your student, scout or youth group to the Gardens, where they can explore our 180 acres of designed gardens and natural habitats. These guided programs enable school-aged children to make their own discoveries about our natural world.
Programs are available Monday through Friday during the months of April through October.
- Our standard 1.5 hour exploration program includes a tour of selected areas of the Gardens and your choice of must-see areas and educational topic.
- Plant and Play (April – June) – Tour selected areas of the Gardens with lesson on parts of plants. Pot-up a seedling to take home.
- Plant Propagation – Tour selected parts of the Gardens with lesson on various ways plants are propagated. Pot-up a cutting to take home.
- 4 hour program – a morning exploration program followed by a lunch break in our log cabin pavilion area and a second exploration tour of additional areas of the gardens.
Have more time or interested in a specific educational focus? Let us customize a program for you.
Areas to Explore
- Vegetable Gardens and Farm
- Flower Gardens
- Rain Garden
- Tree collections
- Bamboo Grove
- Meadow Labyrinth
- Frog Pond
- Forest (woodlands and pine forest)
Popular Educational Topics
- Growing Food
- Gardening for the Senses
- Plant Diversity
- Forest Community
- What is a Garden?
- Healthy Eating
- Plant Life Cycle and
- Garden Friends & Foes
- Our programs are based on providing a tour guide for each group of up to 30 students.
- Groups of more than 30 at a single program time, will be priced by total number of students.
- Programs requiring multiple times/days are priced per session.
|Number of Students||1.5 hour program||4 hour program |
(2 activities + lunchtime)
|Plant and Play|
|20 or less||$97.50||$195.00||$120.00|
Important Things to Know for Your Trip
Programs will start and end at our Log Cabin Area. Use the address 140 Log Cabin Road, East Brunswick, 08816. Do not use our mailing address to locate the Gardens. Directions to the Log Cabin and parking area may be found at: http://www.rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/directions.html
Children and chaperones should wear appropriate clothing and shoes for an active, outdoor walk and possible changes in the weather. Closed-toed shoes are highly recommended.
First Aid Kits
Active exploration of natural habitats increases the possibility of scrapes, bumps or allergic reactions. Please come prepared with first aid supplies.
There are no water fountains in the Gardens. Come prepared with water to be carried or left on the bus, especially in hot weather.
Restrooms are located in our Log Cabin, which will be opened specifically for your group. Please allow time before and after your program for restroom use.
We do not have a designated picnic area. For a nominal fee, groups may use the Log Cabin/Pavilion area for additional time before or after a program to have lunch and access to bathrooms. Groups doing longer programs have free access to this area. Groups using this area can eat picnic-style on the lawn or pavilion floor. All trash must be disposed of in the appropriate dumpsters.
For questions about our Group Exploration Programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request a program, please fill out the Group Explorations Youth Program Request Form.