Ceremonies at Rutgers Gardens
You can still say “I Do” at the Gardens with our Ceremony Permit. Please check our site again for ceremony and reception updates.
NEW AT THE GARDENS – We are now offering permits to hold private ceremonies at the Gardens (wedding, proposals, memorial service, etc.). These 3 hour sessions include a designated garden of your choice for your ceremony, and a photo permit for a photo session in any public areas of the Gardens. A maximum of 25 people may attend and there are further restrictions due to COVID-19 (see below).
Ceremony Permit Details
- Ceremony permits are available year-round (beginning August 15, 2020)
- Ceremony permits should be requested with at least 48 hours notice (Monday-Friday).
- Choice of three time slots, 3 hours each, with time for ceremony plus photography session:
- 9 am-12 pm, 12 pm – 3 pm, 3 pm – 6 pm
- Winter hours (November – April) – 10am-1pm, 1pm-4pm
- Choice of two garden areas for the ceremony:
- In case of rain, ceremony may be held under the roof of the Pavilion in the Log Cabin/Pavilion area.
- The fee is $500 for a Monday-Thursday date or $600 for a Friday-Sunday date.
- Guaranteed parking for up to 10 cars can be arranged in advance, if requested.
- Permit fees help support the planting, upkeep, and maintenance of the grounds, to keep Rutgers Gardens looking beautiful for all visitors to use and enjoy.
Ceremony Permit Rules
- This permit is only good for the scheduled time. Ceremonies and posed photography will not be permitted outside of this time.
- Restrictions: no chairs, no tables, no food, no drinks, no catering.
- You may bring a few chairs for attendees who cannot stand for the ceremony. Chairs must be removed immediately after use.
- All COVID-19 restrictions must be followed as part of public safety (see below).
- We cannot accommodate groups of more than 25 people.
- You must have a copy of your permit with you during your photo session. Gardens employees will check that you are registered.
- Passengers may be dropped off near your designated ceremony area prior to parking.
- All vehicles must be parked in the designated parking lots. If you request guaranteed parking, you will be directed upon arrival. If you have additional cars, they must be parked in the designated lots. If lots are full, additional cars will not be able to stay. Plan accordingly.
- Please be considerate of other garden visitors, as well as ceremonies and other photo sessions that may be taking place.
- All of the public display gardens are available for photo sessions. Do not enter staff-only areas. The Evergreen Garden, Rhododendron Garden, Bamboo Grove, Rain Garden, Small Tree Collection, Dogwoods and Display Garden provide dramatic, colorful vistas throughout the year.
- The log cabin and pavilion outdoor areas may be used during ceremony permits.
- Walking through garden beds, standing in plantings, and climbing trees, etc. are prohibited.
- Any props or materials you bring must be taken away after your event. Any trash or debris must be taken away and disposed of properly. Help keep the Gardens looking good for everyone.
- Alcohol is prohibited in Rutgers Gardens.
- If anyone from your group does not follow the required rules and restrictions, they, or possibly your whole group, will be asked to leave the Gardens. Enforcement of rules is taken very seriously so that we can continue to provide permits and keep the Gardens open for all to enjoy!
- As the permit holder, you will be responsible for the actions and behavior of everyone in your group. You may want to share these rules with everyone in your group to make sure they understand in advance.
- Permits may be cancelled at any time by Rutgers Gardens due to new COVID-19 restrictions issued by the State of New Jersey or Rutgers University. If so, Rutgers Gardens will provide a full refund.
- Customers may only reschedule a paid permit due to illness, and the rescheduled date must be within a month of the original permit date. No refunds.
General restrictions at Rutgers Gardens due to COVID-19 (in effect until further notice)
- Social distancing (6 feet) must be observed.
- Face covering must be worn outdoors if social distancing cannot be observed.
- Uses of benches, gazebos, or man-made structures is prohibited. If something has caution tape on it, it is not available for use.
- Picnics are not allowed.
- All other rules and policies are still in effect.
- Parking in designated paved areas only, unless directed by staff.
Confirm available dates (or ask questions)
To confirm that a date and time is available, or if you have any other questions, please email us. Let us know specific dates or months, days and times you are interested in, and we will tell you what is available.
Request a ceremony permit
After you have confirmed with us that your requested date and time are available, please fill out and submit our ceremony permit request form to confirm your date.